Robert & Arlene come golfing with us

Wednesday: Didn’t do much in the morning. I read my book (“Blink”) and although the Kindle said I was only about 65% finished, it turned out that the last 35% was endnotes. So I finished that book. Sue was busy cooking a Mexican tortilla torte for our lunch. She went to Basha’s for one last week’s worth of groceries (seniors’ discount day today) and came home and continued cooking. Robert and Arlene arrived at 12:30. We had lunch together. All the windows were open in the house — it was warm today. We unloaded Robert’s road bike from their rental car and put it in the garage. We are taking it home for them. Then we loaded their clubs into our van and headed to Mountain Brook for our 2:00 tee time. I guess I thought that we were going for our usual 9-holes walking game, but Arlene paid for the four of us — 18 holes with cart at $46 per person!

Started off the round with a par on hole number 1. And then a decent tee shot on 2 (with too many putts after that). Followed that up with a few bogies and even a birdie on hole 7! I think that’s my first! I shot 51 on the front nine. We stopped to pick up a couple of beers and headed to the 10th tee.

The back nine were not as good for me as the front. But Robert played really well, and I think the girls did too. There was no one ahead of us, and no one behind us. A bit of hazy cloud cover gave us some relief from the heat and it turned out to be a perfect day weather-wise. The one disappointment was the old guy on the course who was rushing us and picking up the pins behind us — letting us know that we were the only ones with carts out on the course and that as soon as we finished he would be able to go home!

After golf we went home and had some drinks and snacks. Sue thawed the salmon she bought in the morning and made rice and a salad. We had a late supper. Visited. Had a very nice day with the Dycks. They left at around 9:30. They are closing up their house and flying home for the season tomorrow. We have another 10 days.